1. Who is Umbriel?
Ans- A mischievous Gnome.
2. Who is Foible?
Ans- The maidservant of Lady Wishfort.
3. What is Belinda’s lock of hair turned into?
Ans- A group of stars.
4. What type of play is ‘The Way of the World’?
Ans- A comedy of manner.
5. What does the black box contain in the play ‘The Way of the World’?
Ans- The writings of Waitwell’s whole estate.
6. Who is Witwould?
Ans- Lady Wishfort’s forty-year-old nephew.
7. Why has Mr. Fainall married Mrs. Fainall?
Ans- Only to get money.
8. What is an elegy?
Ans- A lyric poem mourning the death of an individual or over a tragic event.
9. Who was Baron?
Ans- Lord Petre.
10. Name the pet of Belinda.
11. What is prologue?
Ans- A speech at the beginning of a play, book or film.
12. What was the result of the game played by Belinda?
Ans- She won the game defeating the Baron and other male friend.
13. Why does Tony take revenge on his mother?
Ans- Because she has spoiled him by pampering and has kept away his inheritance.
14. What was the sole duty of Ariel?
Ans- To protect the beautiful women.
15. What is the final advice Mr. Hardcastle to Marlow?
Ans– He should not mistake his wife as he has mistaken his mistress for a bar-maid.
16. Who is Mr. Hardcastle?
Ans- An old-fashioned country squire.
17. What is comedy of manner?
Ans- A type of comedy which represents the behavior and deportment of men and women living under specific social codes.
18. What is Popish Plot?
Ans- A fictitious conspiracy against English Catholics in 1678.
19. How is ‘Absalom and Achitophel’ ended?
Ans- With God’s approval of the King’s stern action against his enemies.
20. How old is Lady Wishfort?
21. What are the principal themes of the comedy of manners?
Ans- Love, marriage, adulterous relationships, amours and legacy conflicts.
22. Who is Mincing?
Ans- The maid of Millamant.
23. What does ‘Proviso-scene’ mean?
Ans- Conditioning scene.
24. Who had supplied the Baron a pair of Scissors?
25. Who was Cromwell?
Ans- A great ruler of England.
26. Who is Milton (1608-1674)?
Ans- The great English poet and scholar.
27. What is the purpose of Dryden’s Absalom and Achitophel?
Ans- To rouse popular feeling against Shaftesbury and to secure his indictment.
28. How is Zimri an unqualified ruler?
Ans- A man of unstable character, had a great interest in poetry, women, painting and drinking.
29. Explain the significance of the reference to ‘moon’ in the poem ‘Absalom and Achitophel’?
Ans- The passing of one month.
30. What is ‘Absalom and Achitophel’?
Ans- One of the finest English political satire.
31. What is a curse to the English nation?
Ans- The Popish Plot.
32. How does Pope open his mock-heroic poem?
Ans- In the typical epic fashion with an invocation to the Muse.
33. Who wrote waiting on the goddess of Spleen?
Ans– Ill-nature and Affectation.
34. What is sizar?
Ans- A student who was admitted at reduced fees in a college, had to do certain menial work in return.
35. Why does Mrs. Hardcastle want to visit the city of London?
Ans- In order to acquire the manners of the fashionable society of London.
36. How was the house of Mr. Hardcastle?
Ans- An old-fashioned decayed house which looked like an inn.
37. What is the Three Pigeons?
Ans- The Three Pigeons is an old alehouse where Tony visits.
38. Who is Millamant?
Ans- Niece and ward of Lady Wishfort.
39. How was Belinda’s beauty enhanced?
Ans- By two beautiful curling side-locks of hair which charmingly set off her white neck.
40. What is Ombre?
Ans- A game played among three.
41. What is Hampton Court?
Ans- A Royal place where Britain’s statesmen discussed politics and Queen Anne had residence.
42. Who is Miss Neville?
Ans- The niece of Mrs. Hardcastle.
43. Who was King Solomon?
Ans- A Jewish king famous for his wealth and wisdom.
44. Who are the Adam-wits?
Ans- The English.
45. Who reveals Mirabell’s false love to Lady Wishfort?
Ans– Mrs. Marwood.
46. What is the sub-title of the play ‘She Stoops to conquer’?
Ans- ‘The Mistakes of a Night’.
47. Who was young Marlow?
Ans- The son of Sir Charles Marlow.
48. What is an epitaph?
Ans- An inscription on a tomb.
49. Who falls prey to his ambition to overthrow the king?
50. Whom does Achitophel stand for?
Ans- Anthony Ashley Cooper, the first Earl of Shaftesbury.
51. Who plays the role of Sir Rowland?
52. Who is Tony Lumpkin?
Ans-The son of Dorothy (Mrs. Hardcastle) by her first husband, Mr. Lumpkin.
53. Who is Belinda?
Ans- The heroine of ‘The Rape of the Lock’.
54. Which age did Goldsmith belong to?
Ans- Augustan age.
55. Who suggested Pope to write this epic?
Ans- Mr. Caryll.
56. What is the setting of the play ‘She Stoops to conquer’?
Ans- A chamber of a country Squire at some distance from London.
57. What is the sub-plot of the play ‘She Stoops to conquer’?
Ans- Hastings-Constance love story.
58. How are the eyes Belinda?
Ans- So bright that they rival the brightness of the sun.
59. What is the subject matter of the poem ‘The Rape of the Lock’?
Ans- A trivial love affair of a young man and a lady.
60. Who are the two fobs in the play ‘The Way of the World’?
Ans- Witwould and Petulant.
61. Where did the goddess of Spleen live?
Ans- In the center of the earth in a dark cave.
62. What qualities does Marlow possess?
Ans- Educated, understanding, liberal, young, handsome and reserved.
63. What is the fortune of Miss Neville?
Ans- A casket of jewels.
64. Who are Salamanders?
Ans- The souls of fiery, quarrelsome women pass into the fire and are called Salamanders.
65. What is Buck’s Head?
Ans- An invented name for an inn.
66. What is an ode?
Ans- An exalted lyric poem that begins with an address to someone expressing grief or agony but ends with consolation, deals with a serious theme.
67. What is the marital status of Lady Wishfort?
68. What is Sion?
Ans- Sion is Zion, ‘the city of Devil’.
69. Who is Belinda’s personal beautician?
70. Who is Absalom?
Ans- The third son of David, King of Israel.
71. Who recites the prologue to the play ‘She Stoops to conquer’?
72. Why is Constance reluctant to elope with Hasting?
Ans- Because her jewelry was in the possession of her aunt.
73. Who are called Nymphs?
Ans- The gentle natured women pass into water and are called Nymphs.
74. Why did the Popish Plot fail?
Ans– Because the persons engaged in it lacked common sense.