NU Masters Final Suggestion for South Asian and African Literature
- Discuss Syed Waliullah’s use of existentialism in tree without roots
- Justify the title of the novel “Tree Without Roots”.
- What social picture of rural Bengal do you get in Syed Walliullah’s “Tree Without Roots”?
- Discuss the character of Rahima.
- Evil sides of Majid’s character
- What picture of Indian society do you notice in “The God of Small Things”?
- Analyze the character of Velutha. / Would you consider Valthan a tragic hero?
- Problem of the untouchable
- In the poem ‘Man’ man is above everything else. Discuss the significance of the statement.
- Kazi Nazrul Islam is a great poet of interfaith harmony- Elucidate.
- Discuss the social and political background of the poem “Beware My Captain”
- Use of mythology in “The Revel”.
- Justify the title of the novel Things Fall Apart.
- Who is the protagonist of the tragic novel “Things fall Apart”?
- Okonokwo’s life was dominated by fear and the fear of failure and weakness- elucidate.
- Discuss the character of Wanja.
- How has the writer depicted the adverse effects of capitalism in ‘Petals of Blood”?/
- Write in your own words about the treatment of women in African society.
Tree Without Roots
- Discuss Majeed as a modern hero?
- Comment on the role of Nature in Tree Without Roots.
- How does Jamila act as a threat to Majeed?
The God of Small Things
- What picture of police atrocities do you find in The God of Small Things?
- What does Arundhuti Roy mean by ‘small things’?
Kazi Nazrul Islam
- What is Nazrul’s contribution to the liberation war of Bangladesh?
- How does Nazrul express his non-communal ideas in his poetry of Samyabadi??
- What is the theme of the poem “Of Equality and that Happy Land”?
- What is the central message of the poem, “The Rebel?
Things Fall Apart
- Summarize the philosophy of Nneka as found in Things Fall Apart.
- How was Ikemefuna killed?
Petals of Blood
- What happened to the people of Ilmorog due to the bad weather condition?
- What is the significance of Munira’s phrase “A new earth another world”?
- How did Abdulla become the hero of the journey?